In Stirling Bike Club we aim to cater for a wide range of offroad biking tastes and abilities. We have all kinds of offroad bikers represented in our membership - from beginners to coaches and racers; from those who like to get some air on technical trails, those who prefer to power up massive climbs and those who prefer a more social paced offroad ride. Most of us are somewhere in the middle!
Because we recognise that offroad bikers vary in their tastes (not to mention fitness and nerve) we endeavour to run a variety of different kinds of rides and we post up details of each ride on Spond a few days in advance to let people know the plan. However, the Golden Rule of club rides applies regardless of the ride or who turns up: nobody gets dropped! If there are sufficient numbers then the group can be split into those wanting a faster paced/more technical ride and those wanting a more relaxed social ride (with a few more stops and a bit more chat).
Stirling and the surrounding areas are an offroad biker's paradise - there is a wide variety of beautiful, natural trails as well as some cracking trail centres. We can often be found riding near Aberfoyle, Cambusbarron Woods, North Third Reservoir and Bridge of Allan, as well as visiting the purpose-built trails at Carron Valley, Comrie Croft and further afield. We are also within driving distance of some further-flung but equally fantastic areas to ride, such as the Mecca's of Glentress, Innerliethen, Golfie, Fort William and Laggan.
We have quite a few rides heading out during week days (mornings/afternoons) as well as evening and weekend rides suitable for all abilities. We have moved to the Spond App to post up all our club rides (keeps us Covid compliant). Spond is extremely easy to use and with it being available on your smart phone/device it's also very easy to see what rides are available and to join one that suits you. Start locations vary to suit the ride.
You can still come along and give us a try to see if offroad biking in group or with a club is for you before deciding if you want to become a paid up club member, just select the "Pre Membership Trial Rider option".
Sign up/register with Spond here.
What To Bring
- Offroad bike (gravel, cyclorcross, offroad Ebike, fat bike, full suspension or hardtaill) suitable for off-road use and in good working order. Skinny smooth tyred road bikes are not suitable and shouldn't be used
- Helmet Compulsory - if you turn up without a helmet you will not be allowed to ride with us!
- Suitable eye protection - another essential bit of safety equipment when riding offroad, you will need it
- Puncture repair kit - spare tube to suit your wheel/tyres, pump, tyre levers - and the knowledge on how to use it, if you're not sure let us know at the start of the ride
- Suitable clothing for cycling - baggies or lycra, we don't care, just make sure it's suitable for the ride, won't catch in any of your bikes moving parts and is suitable for the weather forecast!
- Gloves - not essential but will protect your hands from the elements and injury in case of a fall - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Knee pads etc - entirely optional, however for some of the MTB specific rides they can be useful
- Spare layers depending on the weather conditions
- Multi-tool to aid repairs
- Some food to keep your energy levels up for the duration of the ride
- Water or energy drink, again enough for the duration of the ride and weather conditions
- Backpack, saddle bag or pockets to carry everything in
For those of us for whom suspension and chunky tyres make things too easy, or who just have a bit of a thing for mud, there is also a healthy cyclocross scene within the club. We have men, women and youths racing regularly (and occasionally organising the odd practice session during the CX season). We also run the Plean Cyclocross race in the heart of winter (for those who like a little snow with their mud). Cyclocross is a very friendly sport and suitable for anyone on pretty much any kind of off-road bike - converted road bikes, mountain bikes and even the odd fat bike have been sighted at CX races!
Please read the SBC under 18 policy and advice before attending a club ride. Further information can be found here
As above, please read through our Under 18 policy and make make sure you bring your parent and/or Guardian along with you OR arrange for a Chaperone in advance of the ride. Please, please note, do not turn up assuming that their will be someone available to act as a chaperone.