Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
03 Aug 2019
Only 1 week now to this year’s edition of the Dave J memorial ride. Extended welcome as always to members, family and friends. Please confirm interest via the following forum post.

www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/index.php/forum/general-chat/3331-dave-j-bbq-and-rides-24th-august-2019
  • Page:

TOPIC: Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 07 Jun 2015 21:43 #2287

• Nigel brooks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well done! great location and can recomend 30 mins turbo as great post corrieries pre ride home warm up, but perhaps not every week

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 07 Jun 2015 15:51 #2285

• Fionna McKenna
  • Fionna McKenna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well we did it!!! Reckon pretty much the hardest thing I've ever done - but the support was absolutely amazing. We thought we had the ideal spot due the 40-odd SBC members who would be in Corrieris on Saturday - was fairly unlikely to get a day in June (June!) when the rides were cancelled!! However, still loads of SBC and other supporters to keep us going. We genuinely had someone on the guest turbo at 2:00am!

So thanks to the SBC guest turbo-ers - Neil, Nigel and Alistair (who did the last slot), Jim T who came with his bike all set to get on guest turbo only to find we were full, and all the other supporters who came along. I can only describe my feelings as completely over-whelmed. Made the whole thing so much easier when there was a bit of chat and distraction going on.

We have smashed our fund-raising target, with lots of cash still to count and bank. (Of course any further donations still welcome).

Not sure when I will feel like getting on a bike again - probably not any time soon, but hope to see everyone soon to thank you properly.

Guest turbo-ers - I can send you your Garmin files if you are interested? And Alistair, I think you left a Rapha water bottle - I will bring it to the Crit under the Castle

If anyone is interested here are my personal stats for the event (lying on the sofa analysing stats is about all I can do today):
25 separate shots on the turbo
Total distance 149.05 miles
Average speed 11.8 mph
Total turbo time 12 hours 36 mins

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 03 Jun 2015 22:43 #2235

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OK doke Nigel you are on at 2:30. Hope the turbos aren't being blown over by that time - forecast looks a bit blowy on Saturday!

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 03 Jun 2015 10:18 #2225

• Nigel brooks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ill do 2.30, it will make sure i get round ride and intime to get abuse (banter) from folk staggering out of corrieries oh wait bibs and magic spanner are away, takings will be down

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 03 Jun 2015 05:53 #2219

• Neil Mcleod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Fiona
That's ideal
See you before 11 for the team briefing! Lol

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 02 Jun 2015 22:47 #2218

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Neil and Nigel, thank you for volunteering - will be great to have your company.

Neil I have put you in for an hour at 11 on Saturday if that's OK - we've got another volunteer coming at 12.

Nigel, we've got a few volunteers in the morning on Saturday but can fit you in - would 8:45 - 9:15 be OK? Or alternatively can fit you in no problem at 2:30 for after the club ride - whichever suits you best.

Thanks to both of you for your support - hopefully will still be able to pedal and chat by Saturday!!

(And hoping there will be some sunshine, and not a hurricane!)

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 01 Jun 2015 21:40 #2210

• Nigel brooks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi happy to do a half hour slot bfore the10am club run on saturday so need to finish by 9.30, (or afer but to be very safe say n
ot before 2.30)let me know if this fits with availability

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 01 Jun 2015 18:21 #2209

• Neil Mcleod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Fiona
I'd be happy to help out if you've got a slot about 11 on Sat for a couple of hours or so.
I'm racing Sunday so wasn't planning on being out on the clubrun.
Cheers
Neil

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 31 May 2015 20:48 #2202

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Less than a week to go!!! (Or to think of it another way, in a week's time it will all be over, one way or another!) Getting a fair few bookings on for the guest turbo, but still slots available. Just let us know if you'd like to book in. And of course you can still sponsor us.
www.action.org.uk/sponsor/fionnaandangelaride

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 27 May 2015 10:03 #2140

• Alan Morrison
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yeah, that was me. i would defo advise taking turns on the turbo as it takes its toll on the legs if your doing a decent pace. Taking turns allows you to put more effort in and then rest & refuel properly before going on again. Thats something i would do if/when i do it again for my store's chosen charity.

My legs started to "go" after 2.5hrs, i knew i could keep cycling but getting off the bike was a different matter. lol

I ran a staff competition for them to guess how far would be clocked up over the 6hrs, for alcohol prizes (lol). Managed over 250k if memory serves.

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 26 May 2015 21:44 #2133

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We now have the guest turbo slots available to book - half hour slots for a £5 donation.

The slots will run from 17:30 - 22:00 on Friday 5th June and 07:00 - 16:30 on Saturday 6th June. We will have a medium sized bike on the turbo trainer and can adjust saddle height and change pedals to suit.

There will run a wee competition to see who can cover 5K on the turbo in the shortest time. There will be a small prize for the fastest male and female. But the competition is optional, just come along and join us for a wee while on the turbo to keep us company and add to our total mileage.

If you'd like to book a slot, please reply here or send a message - there will hopefully be some slots available on the day as well.

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 26 May 2015 21:43 #2132

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Alan, we have just gone for local businesses for sponsorship and prizes - been fairly successful so far

Were you the person who was on the turbo outside M&S in Dunblane a while ago? I came and saw you with the development group. 6 hours non-stop is impressive! How did you find it? We will be doing approx 13 hours each we reckon, but there will be breaks - bit scared by it though!!!

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 24 May 2015 21:23 #2094

• Alan Morrison
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Have you thought about contacting any of the Cycling nutrition companies for sponsorship? i.e. SiS, OTE, High5, etc
I tried unsuccessfully to get some for the 6hr non-stop session i did outside my work last year, so hopefully you will far better than i did when you ask.

Charity 24 hour turbo session - 5/6 June 21 May 2015 22:12 #2071

• Fionna McKenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me posting on here about this, but my friend Angela Meikle and I are going to be doing a 24 hour turbo session to raise funds for Action Medical Research (we are riding London to Paris with them in the summer).

This will be from 5pm on Friday 5th June to 5pm Sat 6th June - the plan is to keep at least one bike moving between us for the whole 24 hours!. We will be attempting this under a gazebo outside Stirling Cycle Repairs - right opposite Corrieris!!. So please come and see us at any point in the time - and particularly come and visit when the road rides end at Corrieris that Saturday. Any chat, company, support, (and of course your cash) most welcome. We will be holding a raffle with some great prizes donated by local businesses, there will also be a bottle stall and a guest turbo - so you can have a go for 15 mins or so and add to our total mileage.

The sponsorship page is www.action.org.uk/sponsor/fionnaandangelaride - any donations greatly appreciated. We'd also be very grateful for any donations to our bottle stall - can be anything that can be called a bottle - wine, whisky etc of course, but also soft drinks, toiletries, bottle of shampoo, maybe even bike related stuff. Please post here or message me if you have something to donate and I can arrange to pick up.

If you are on Facebook if you can like our page to see updates as we build up to the event
www.facebook.com/fionnaandangelaride

Thanks for reading, Fionna McKenna (a bit scared!)

• Page:
Designed by the Club