Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 14 Aug 2020 09:11 #17390

• Andy Chambers
  • Thank you received: 29
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan Phillips

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 10 Aug 2020 10:02 #17386

• Andy Chambers
  • Thank you received: 29
Sounds reasonable to me. Although when we spell up we tend to be three or four abreast for a short time. This can be avoided if we do a chain-gang style spelling up but then the problem is that conversations get interrupted and you have to wait for the cycle to complete until you can continue the conversation :-)

Also in rule 66, this jumped out at me.

> keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear

Sounds fair enough but it doesn't allow for taking a drink or food. Or putting on/taking off a jacket. Or for those of us with hamstrings that don't stretch far enough, sitting right up to stretch the lower back.

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 04 Aug 2020 15:12 #17378

• Allan Phillips
  • Allan Phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 68
I see they've now started a consultation for a long-overdue update of the Highway Code. Rule 66 currently says:

"never ride more than two abreast,and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends."

The proposed change is:

"ride in single file when drivers wish to overtake and it is safe to let them do so. When riding in larger groups on narrow lanes, it is sometimes safer to ride two abreast"

which a lot of people including me don't think is very clear or sensible. Personally I think it should say:

"ride in single file when this would allow vehicles to safely overtake without crossing the centre of the road, otherwise ride no more than two abreast"

How does that sound?

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/904038/consultation-on-a-review-of-the-highway-code.pdf

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 25 May 2020 17:46 #17333

• Andrew Abbess
  • Thank you received: 14
It is worth noting that it is a SHOULD rule not a MUST rule. So there is no offence in riding 2 up on narrow roads or around bends or in busy traffic.
The Highway Code is overdue a rewrite and Cycling UK, British cycling and the Bikeability trust have made representation to the Department for Transport in London that this rule contradicts other parts of the Highway Code (don't overtake going round bends & don't overtake into oncoming traffic) and contradicts good practice guidance also issued by the DfT.
It is the DfT who ran a road safety campaign advising people on bike to ride central when the road is narrow to discourage dangerous overtakes.
Our best option at the moment if having to justify riding 2 up on a busy road is to remind the officers that the Highway Code says for a safe overtake the overtaking vehicles need to move into the opposite lane (see photo from HC rule #163) and if a group is strung out in single file then the overtaking vehicle needs to be on the other side of the road for twice the amount of time - to single out would be an unreasonable thing to do because it makes it harder to manage a safe overtake in busy traffic cos there needs to be a longer gap of on coming traffic.
I deliver training for ride leaders, cycle trainers and professional drivers including driving instructors. I am now offering a free 60 minute theory session online via zoom. All welcome to join. First opportunity is Tuesday 26 May 10-11 am and then further dates will be shown here
www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/index.php/forum/general-chat/3761-essential-cycle-skills-theory-for-riders-and-drivers-free-zoom-training-tuesday-26-may-10-11am
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Telfer

When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21 I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. Mark Twain.
Last edit: by Andrew Abbess.

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 19 Mar 2020 19:55 #17268

• John Rooney
  • Thank you received: 41
Perhaps the club should formally approach Police Scotland and express our concerns over recent incidents? We really need to use our weight of over 400 members to highlight this increasing tension before a member(s) get seriously hurt?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Flynn

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 17 Mar 2020 05:52 #17256

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 51
Police Scotland appear to present a mixed message regarding adoption and enforcement of the UK wide Close Pass initiative. On the one hand, they mounted an effective week's worth of enforcement with undercover Police officers last year around BoA/Causewayhead but then come up with this. Andy wrote a very informed and effective post ( www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/index.php/forum/road-biking/3600-beware-of-bike-hating-brigade-in-coming-weeks#16932 ) that details why close pass is not possible even in single file on a narrow lane.
If there is any hope of improving adoption of active transport for the good of the country's health, wellbeing and for the environment, cyclists need to be protected. Given the road rage incident against the Tempo Group last Saturday, polarisation is increasing both in public and national Police force?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan Phillips, James Tierney

The Highway Code - bonkers or what? 16 Mar 2020 21:12 #17255

• Allan Phillips
  • Allan Phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 68
After our Middle Group brush with the law the weekend before last I thought I ought to read up on the current version of the Highway Code to see what it really says. I was dismayed to read the following:

Rule 66: You should ... "ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends".

That's more or less what the police said, yet for me it clearly goes against common sense and safety. I'm surprised British Cycling haven't got that ridiculous advice updated.

www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

What do others think?

• Page:
Designed by the Club