Folks - as you may know one of our Group Road Rides was cancelled on Saturday 7/3 and I understand that there has been some social media traffic questioning the decision to cancel. So, let me share with you some general comments on how we, as a Road Rep group, and our Road Ride Leaders (RRLs) go about making a decision to cancel a ride.
Our primary aim is to keep riders safe and the threat to that can take many forms - ice, snowfall, exceptionally heavy rain or high winds. All or any of these conditions can contribute to riders coming down and, in a group ride situation, bring others down with them. We have a duty of care to all of our riders to make sure that they are kept as safe as reasonably possible. Particularly during the winter months, Road Reps are in very regular contact with each other during the week in assessing the conditions which are likely to prevail on a Saturday. We assess the weather from a number of different forecasting platforms and judgements are made - it's seldom clear cut - but please be assured that a decision to cancel a ride is never taken lightly. Equally (perhaps, more importantly) our RRLs are fully aware of their responsibilities and obligations to the group riders and they have the right to cancel a ride if they deem it to be unsafe. All of our RRLs are experienced riders and any decisions which they make are, and will continue to be, fully supported by the Road Reps group and the Club. We have a fabulous bunch of RRLs and I know that we'd all like to thank them for the work that they do in making the weekend group road rides the enjoyable experience that they are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark V, Catriona Denny, Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Stuart Leishman, John Martin, Douglas Telfer, Campbell Stewart, Joe Arciero, Andy Massie, Gill Brett and 4 other people also said thanks.