Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 10 Dec 2019 20:24 #16945

• Chi kong Cham
  • Chi kong Cham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 46
Just goes to show there are always two sides to the story and how selective the media are in their reporting. Thanks for following up, can't think of a more able person than Andrew Abbess to lead this awareness session and a very impressive debut for the new SBC Press & Communications Officer to boot! (Andy if members don't already know).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy Chambers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 10 Dec 2019 14:15 #16942

• Andy Chambers
  • Thank you received: 17
Got a follow-up from Evelyn. Seems like Scottish Cycling is already on the case with an effort to ensure that *all* councillors in Stirling understand the issues. If it's an option, I will try to pop along to the training session mentioned and report back.

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the newspaper article about a Public Safety meeting where I made a comment about a journey to Killin. My intention was to encourage people to think about the safety of cyclists and certainly not to tell cyclists about correct road use and how to cycle. However, the reporting of the meeting in the media has caused a fair bit of discussion and so I have been looking at positive ways to address the issue.

Andrew Abbess of Cycling Scotland has been in touch with me about providing training on this for Councillors. I think this is a really positive step and I have therefore asked the Council to take up the offer and progress the training session at the earliest possible opportunity.

I agree with you that creating division is certainly not the way forward and believe that education is key to ensuring the safety of all road users, especially cyclists and pedestrians who are obviously in a far more vulnerable position than motorists. I would be pleased to keep you updated with regards to the training session so that you can provide assurances to the members of your club.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chi kong Cham, Derek Lambie, James Tierney

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 07 Dec 2019 23:47 #16932

• Andy Chambers
  • Thank you received: 17
I've been out election campaigning with the SNP person mentioned in the article so I have just sent them and Alyn Smith an email about this reminding
them of the following...

* cycling two abreast is perfectly allowed by law and in fact safer for the cyclists as it discourages cars from overtaking when there is not enough room

* cars are still supposed to leave 1.5m of space when overtaking cyclists. Even when riding single file, that would put them into the other lane so it really makes no difference when cyclists ride in pairs. If you can't overtake a pair, you shouldn't be overtaking a single rider.

* when riding in groups if you go in single file, you create a much longer line so it is like overtaking a lorry rather than a car.

* when we go out with the club, we do our best to try to stay off the main roads keeping out the way of drivers wherever possible. Anything we can do to encourage riders who do like to get out for long rides to join their local club is likely to result in less inconvenience to drivers (riders will be more bunched together rather than dotted around all over the place)

Let's not get sucked in by the tabloids into stoking division between drivers and cyclists. There's enough of that already.

Could also send similar to the other parties mentioned but if there are members of those parties in the club, it might be better coming from them? Obviously we don't I want this to become a political issue where we have the support of one party but not the others. If anyone wants to get in touch to help me refine the message we'd like to get out, I'm happy to get on the phone or meet up to chat about this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chi kong Cham, Stuart Leishman, John Martin, Graham Brown, Julie Burns, David Mcguire, Norrie Petrie, James Tierney, Gary Bell

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 23 Nov 2019 16:17 #16850

• Chi kong Cham
Not sure if I've become more sensitive to it and while always there, I've noticed a lot more people shouting from passenger car windows and blasting horns while passing the group each week. Lot of anger in the country right now which is being exploited (if not deliberately stoked up) by people in power and the tabloid media (what's left of them).
Cyclists (any vulnerable minority group actually) are cheap point scoring in a world where the car is king. I hope these councillors actually contact SBC, we'll give them the time to get their rant over and we can put this to them with more respect than they have shown us cyclists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Martin, Andy Chambers, Norrie Petrie

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 23 Nov 2019 14:31 #16849

• John Martin
  • Thank you received: 4
Quite worrying the thoughts of those in power in the local community, Think they need voted out soon as possible.

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 22 Nov 2019 22:23 #16848

• James Tierney
  • Thank you received: 7
Absolute shocker how ignorant the 3 councillors( of different parties) are!
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Martin

Beware of bike hating brigade in coming weeks 22 Nov 2019 22:16 #16847

• Chi kong Cham
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Martin, James Tierney

• Page:
Designed by the Club