Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 16 Oct 2019 20:29 #16711

• Sally Baillie
  • Thank you received: 3
Bought some kit today. Still some great bargains. Friendly service. Would recommend to anyone looking for some winter kit.Thanks again and hope your recovery goes smoothly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 15 Oct 2019 16:45 #16709

• Robert Bocking
  • Robert Bocking's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Email me contact address etc

Last edit: by Robert Bocking.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 15 Oct 2019 16:27 #16708

• Sally Baillie
Hi it won’t let me text you

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 13 Oct 2019 17:00 #16697

• Sally Baillie
hi I might be after the gloves and the overshoes. Could you private message me if I could pop round for a look. I’m sorry to hear of your injuries.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 12 Oct 2019 05:50 #16694

• Robert Bocking
Just checked jacket it’s XL

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 11 Oct 2019 16:44 #16690

• Robert Bocking
No problems will put your name on it , if it fits great if not you don’t have to purchase it.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 11 Oct 2019 16:37 #16689

• Fraser Stewart
  • Thank you received: 85
I will take the Assos winter jacket if still available. Just leaving to go on holiday so can do the deal w/c 21/10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Bocking

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 11 Oct 2019 08:12 #16688

• James Tierney
  • Thank you received: 131
Cheers Jim the deals are all my mitts, gloves new pair le col mitts in blue the lot £20 over shoes I have 4 to 5 sets the lot £20, bib long £10 ,ale camo design short bib and top plus winter bottoms and long sleeve top not worn much the lot £60, the jersey cost more than that assos winter jacket in red and black XXL still a tight fit worn 3 times if that as new £50 all must go be a vulture cycle out call for a brew check me out bargains
Bob
NB also open to offers for orbea!

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 10 Oct 2019 16:48 #16685

• James Tierney
Everything going cheap folks, a bargain to be had!

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 08 Oct 2019 20:03 #16678

• James Tierney
Will do.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 08 Oct 2019 18:52 #16677

• Robert Bocking
Hi Jim, Monday always at hospital any day call in after 12 not going out so wil always be in my mob 07904 348844, call in for a cuppa after a ride can text my address cheers jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 08 Oct 2019 14:30 #16675

• James Tierney
Robert, so good to hear from you and so glad you will fully recover.
Let me know you are ready for some visitors.
Best wishes
JimTierney

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 06 Oct 2019 09:16 #16669

• Robert Bocking
Chi,my accident happened on the 22 September in Dumfries my first call was around 0800 we phoned around 4 to 5 times giving info and the calls will be recorded, I was frustrated having to give the same info, the ambulance crew said they where coming but dot re directed by control. The service can always be improved if you require anything from me just ask.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 06 Oct 2019 04:34 #16668

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 39
Thanks for this additional information. I will arrange to visit my friend who is an ASM at the Scottish Ambulance Service to find out how this can be taken forward to improve the service to patients, avoid needless suffering and can save lives. What is good for Yorkshire Ambulance Service is good for the SAS.

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 05 Oct 2019 18:12 #16663

• Sharon Elaine Walthew-Stewart
  • Thank you received: 59
Awe really sorry to hear this. My husband broke his kneck 3 yrs ago now. He has fully recovered physically and invested in a taxc nanno and 2 pooches. So lots of walks. The three month house bound was hard but we coped and things could have been life changing for ever so same as you we thank our blessings. Heal quickly and please let us know if we can be of any help Shazza and Billy
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney, Robert Bocking

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 05 Oct 2019 16:26 #16662

• Robert Bocking
Chi I do remember you, I had the three words on my phone and offered that has a location but the ambulance service in Dumfries did not use it, I tried my best with been an retired firefighter I was calm clear on anything I gave to them, but that’s in the pass and overall the care was 100% I hear u about the bike but my shoes are going to be hung up

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 05 Oct 2019 15:07 #16661

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 39
Hi Robert,

You don't know me but can I first wish you the very best in your recovery and thank you for sharing your story and experience with us. This sort of thing could happen to any of us at any time (cycling in winter/summer, being hit by car, sliding off bend at speed) and given the nature of your neck fracture (C2), you are indeed very lucky to avoid total paralysis. It is also comforting to know that decency and kindness continues to define us as human beings.

As a former paramedic, location information is vague at best and frustrating for the ambulance crew as it is for patients. I was recently introduced to a free mobile phone app called What3Words ( what3words.com/about-us/ ). Increasing number of emergency services are adopting this facility and encouraging everyone to download it to help them pinpoint where help is needed. It works offline (no phone reception required) and providing this information to passers by who can get to the nearest landline to phone 999 will help the Police, Ambulance and Fire Service locate the incident.

Don't give up on ever being on a bike again and we look forward to seeing you in good health and pain free.

Chi
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney, Robert Bocking

My Accident and NO more cycling for me. ☹️ 05 Oct 2019 07:57 #16660

• Robert Bocking
Hello All
Not many members will know me, but I always cycled in bright yellow tops, and I regret now not coming on more club runs but will hopefully when fit to help with the club events. After my accident that could have been more tragic than what happened. I am great full to be alive with a broken neck and house bound for the next 3 months.
So with that in mind I will be selling my 3 bikes. Cervolo Di2, Orbea Di2, Merida and all more clothing going really cheap just need to get rid, if any member wants to call over for a good deal before all posted up you are more than welcome. Any money raised will be put to a gym membership and a good indoor cycle bike, I am 6 foot 1 inch and all clothing is XXL, but still tight on me some good gear going cheap.

Borders night 402km bike ride

22nd September Sunday morning around 7am, I arrived at Stage 8 Moniaive to Milton 285 km point. I started cycling, 317 km was my next checkpoint, at 299 km around 0730, I cycled down the hill, came round a bend and either I fell asleep, perhaps hit the banking too hard, I have no idea what happened, if I had fallen asleep or just blacked out from the impact.

I can now recall hitting the banking, hitting some trees, no recollection of being flung off the bike, but I was flung over the handlebars forward and when I opened my eyes I was face down in the ditch, my helmet was stuck in the mud, secured to my head, and when I opened my eyes all I could see was the dirty muddy water in front of me. So I thought I’ve got to get up and with that thought I could not move anything. I could feel a severe pain in the base of my neck. Then I brought my arms forward, tried to push myself up, I could not do that. I struggled till I could turn my body round and push myself against the banking, and thought great all I need to do is stand up. I tried to do this but the pain was so intense in my neck, I had to sit back down. Then I lurched forward to the side of the banking, and crawled slowly out towards the road. Once I got there, length of my body, 8feet, once I got to the road I thought fine all I have to do now is stand up, get my bike and cycle to the next checkpoint.

As I tried to get onto all fours pain was so intense I just had to lay flat on the ground not wanting to move. I reckon I left checkpoint at 7 and would get to next one at 8 so I reckon it took me about half an hour to do all this before the first phone call. Thought I must phone for assistance. Bike about 9feet away in a ditch, I knew I had to get help. Tried to turn around to get to the bike, but couldn’t, because of pain. So crawled backwards down road towards the bike, managed to pull bike from ditch and retrieve mobile phone.managed to dial 999 and ask for ambulance service, gave all the relevant info and best location I could. Ambulance service said Help is on the way (8am) then as the phone went dead, ambulance hung up, signal went dead, it started to hail and rain so I remembered I had an emergency bivi bag I retrieved it and thought do I actually need it, yes this is an emergency. I managed to rip the bag open and drape the bag over the top of me, lying on the road.

I was starting to shiver and shake but knowing that Help is on the way, then by chance I was hopping another cyclist would pass. A local cyclist was passing, he asked if I was ok I said NO,his name was John, he stopped and asked if he could do anything. I asked if he could phone the ambulance service and give them a better location of where we were. He did that, and then 5 minutes later another cyclist, Robert appeared ( lots of moral support, got me Into bivi bag as best I could, in spite of pain. John said he lives 4 miles down the road, and that he would ride and bring back something warmer as it started to rain again.

John came back with his partner Carolyne, and Carolyne brought a big tarpaulin and duvet, kept me warm , pillow under my head,to support it which gave me instant relief, Carolyne was really kind and supportive. John and Robert having difficulty letting amb crews know a better location. Amb turned up 1 hr 15 mins after the first phone call. Crews did apologise, redirected wrongly, but Carolyne and John’s compassion and assistance was wonderful. I asked John to look after my bike, which they did, and said don’t worry about that I’ll take care of it, they put it in the car and said they be in touch.

I am now back at home after 6 days in hospital, my C2 is in 15 pieces and that could have killed me, C6 swelling but will ease over time my hands are tingling like mad with nerves damage but getting better day by day. I was unlucky to crash but I am lucky that I can walk move all my limbs I can clean my self and all is good apart from my neck that will heal in time.
Happy cycling to All and be safe, never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow you may not be able to do it. And I have found that out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Rooney, Chi kong Cham, James Tierney, Heather Morton, Duncan Bruce

• Page:
Designed by the Club