Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Main Chaingang

Main Chaingang 04 Apr 2019 11:50 #15321

• Alan Robertson
  • Thank you received: 16
I agree with John's comments. It would be good to get a decent first group together and try and keep it together so that we can all improve our fitness (the main point of CG for non-racers). For the Chalmerston CG I'd say an avg speed of 20-21mph for each lap would sufficient to begin with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Main Chaingang 04 Apr 2019 10:29 #15320

• John Rooney
  • Thank you received: 9
The tempo group have recently been discussing an organised CG group. This would match your middle group.
One of the main issues is the group breaking down when the fast group comes through (which is often too early). The other issue is riders
getting dropped at almost the same points on the same hills. It would be much better if the group of riders operated more as a group with
the objective of at least staying together for two laps so everyone gets a good workout. The overall group pace should be quicker as the
group does not shrink.
The plan we discussed was to agree staying together for at least two laps and to be mindful of the group on the hills. In the past Derek
Ditty worked with the group on the hills and helped keep the group together. This made a difference. In some of the groups in Falkirk
they do likewise, keeping the group together on the hills (mainly the motorway bridge at the end of the circuit) and powering on after
regrouping on the downhill.
Ideally, a couple of the consistent fast riders would keep a note of the time gap and keep stretching this till the groups only come
together at the very end of the last lap. This of course ensures the fast crew get an optimal workout also. I guess this could be posted somewhere digitally?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Robertson

Main Chaingang 01 Apr 2019 20:47 #15312

• Chris Pendlebury
  • Thank you received: 32
It sounds like people are holding off till next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher O'Hanlon

Main Chaingang 01 Apr 2019 19:44 #15310

• Joe Arciero
  • Thank you received: 0
Does it start tomorrow? If so what time?

Main Chaingang 01 Apr 2019 15:52 #15308

• Mark Leadbetter
  • Mark Leadbetter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's my thoughts on how the CG should operate- The last group on the road (scratch group) is made up of the faster riders . Usually I am of the opinion that training is training and racing is racing but there is a strong argument for this group to ride more like a road race. As there are less RR's in the calendar riders need practice with the huge changes in speed that occur in RR's.
The middle group (if there are three groups) should be ridden more like a TTT fast and steady to try and stay in the front of the scratch group for as long as possible. No one will or should wait it is not a picnic.
If I can breathe and have not been dropped :blink: I can offer some advice on how to ride in a proper echelon for the benefit of the group as a whole ( without looking round:cheer: )
Anyone who finds this too hard to begin with can join or form a first group the following week and likewise anyone finding it too easy can move to the scratch group. What does everyone think? You can only have an opinion if you turn up! Marco Leadlegs (Curmudgeon :woohoo: )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Flynn, John Rooney, Joe Arciero

• Page:
Designed by the Club