Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It’s all gone Bananas

It’s all gone Bananas 01 Apr 2019 19:49 #15311

• Jim Prentice
  • Thank you received: 133
I'd like to take a moment or two to pick up on some of the comments made by Mark Leadbetter in his posting below

Over recent years Stirling Bike Club has developed hugely and now has around 450 members many of whom come from outwith the Stirling area because of our reputation for providing a welcoming and organised environment in which to enjoy biking at all levels of abilities. The Club has worked hard at developing its female membership which now stands at around 30%, a huge advance on what it was only a few years ago. We now provide rides for all levels of abilities and needs. Proposed routes and speeds of all rides are posted up prior to each weekend so all members know where they're going and can make a choice in advance rather than just turning up and hoping for the best. To ensure that members have a most enjoyable experience we have developed a Code of Conduct; some may look upon it negatively and call it 'rules' but we like to think that it's an expectation of behaviour where members can feel supported and enjoy the experience.

All of this takes a considerable amount of organising and our Road Ride Leaders carry this load without complaint. They do not look for thanks but they do expect some appreciation of the work they put into making the group rides a pleasurable experience. This does not include smiling and riding past them, or any other member of the group for that matter, when they puncture. Decent human behaviour is the key phrase and the vast proportion of our members exhibit this each and every time they are on a group ride.

Can I briefly turn to membership. Each member pays an annual fee and this, in turn, goes toward the cost of running the Club. We welcome folks who want to try group riding and we're happy to provide 2 or 3 'free' rides to allow them to see if SBC is a good 'fit' for them. What we do not, and will not, permit is folks turning up week on week and not taking out membership. We always welcome new members - that's what we've built our reputation on. It can all be done on -line for a nominal cost.

Finally, we can all hark back to earlier times when things seemed rosier, easier, etc but we believe that what we now provide at Stirling Bike Club is something which is so much better than previous times and,indeed, is the envy of many cycling clubs in Scotland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Norrie Petrie, Colin Chisholm, Martin R Lees, Graeme Matheson, Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Gary Longhurst, Chi kong Cham, Stuart Leishman, Alan Mein, David Lindsay and 6 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It’s all gone Bananas 31 Mar 2019 05:23 #15292

• Mark Leadbetter
  • Mark Leadbetter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I’ve no idea how we managed to ride in groups 30 and 40 years ago without 600 rules and regulations or group leaders . Guess it all came down to common sense ! A couple of questions for last weeks group leader on tempo ride - the majority of riders where in front of you coming down the Dukes pass !so how were they to know you’d punctured ? We did actually wait for you where it was safe to stop - think my record of safety speaks for itself ( 42 years of all types of cycling in all conditions- racing , training , touring etc without breaking a single bone or coliding with any motor vehicles ) . It used to be normal to regroup at the top of the climbs in those days & this would have helped you as group leader to know if anyone had punctured or had a mechanical on the way up surely ? , as for the non SBC riders joining in with the group - this seems unenforceable- you can’t stop a rider from riding on the road that just happens to have a sbc group on it ! And I don’t know of anyone who’d get upset because a non club member was in the group , personally i’ll ride with anyone .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Designed by the Club