Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April 07 Apr 2019 05:30 #15359

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 14
Great route yesterday, Allan. Also good to be reminded from time to time why I don't normally go out 4 hours in rain with ambient temperatures hovering between 3-5°C - mild hypothermia is deeply unpleasant!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April 06 Apr 2019 20:07 #15357

• Allan Phillips
  • Allan Phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 37
Thanks for the many messages of support I received today - they were very much appreciated.

Sorry about the weather (and the quality of the weather forecast). Hopefully everyone got warmed up and dried out afterwards. It was a great group and the company certainly helped me survive the miserable conditions. It was definitely a day where Cycling rule number 9 applied:

"If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period."

Here's hoping for warm and dry next week.

Allan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Scott Hughes

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April 04 Apr 2019 21:02 #15332

• Norrie Petrie
  • Thank you received: 52
Allan,
I certainly didn’t take any of your comments personally. You’d have to do way better than that to insult me.
However, a single track, hairpin climb within a mile of leaving The Peak isn’t appropriate for a group ride. You may note that there are no other RL’s posting routes using Logie Kirk. There is a reason for that.
As I said, I wasn’t planning on coming out with the club on Saturday regardless of the route. For those that passed comment before me making comment below, they aren’t wimps.
RL do a grand job and I’m grateful to you and the others. We just need to be sensible of where we lead. It’s a group ride.

Norrie P

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April ***ROUTE CHANGE*** 04 Apr 2019 20:05 #15329

• Andrew Scobie (Scoobs)
  • Committee
  • Committee
  • Thank you received: 178
Allan,

I would rather go over Logie Kirk than the cycle path from Bridge of Allan to Glen Rd, but that's me.

I may pop off the group at Crieff and head over Comrie Moor to get a few extra miles and feet in the legs.

Good lesson on getting the route posted early for riders to view, comment and give the RRL time to amend.

See you Saturday

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan Phillips

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April ***ROUTE CHANGE*** 04 Apr 2019 18:24 #15325

• Allan Phillips
Hi Norrie,

The only feedback I received was that "some of the Middle group riders" felt that my route was "over-testing". My "wimps" comment certainly wasn't aimed at yourself or any other individual. It's a pity that you decided to take it personally rather than in the jovial light-hearted manner it was intended.

I always do my best to pick a route that I think will be enjoyable, appropriate for the weather and the group, and above all safe. I'm sure all the other ride leaders do too, and I'm upset that you seem to think I would do otherwise. We've been up Logie Kirk before, and no-one has ever suggested to me that it's not safe, however if you think otherwise then I apologise.

Allan

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April ***ROUTE CHANGE*** 04 Apr 2019 16:19 #15324

• Norrie Petrie
  • Thank you received: 52
Allan,
Logie Kirk is simply not a road that should be used as part of a group ride.
Sure, it’s a great climb but it’s not conducive to a safe group ride.
I’m not out with the club this weekend, but to be frank, I’d rather be called a wimp and lead a safe group than endanger myself and others on a road that doesn’t lend itself at all to group riding.
Club ethos and group safety wins over some sort of attitude that staying safe and appropriate means being called a wimp.
Norrie

Norrie P

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April ***ROUTE CHANGE*** 04 Apr 2019 15:41 #15323

• Allan Phillips
Well who would have thought? The forecast for Saturday has changed and it's now looking rather damp. For that reason I'm going to shorten the route a bit, and I'll also take the opportunity to remove the Logie Kirk climb, since that doesn't seem to be too popular. (You wimps!)

New route here: ridewithgps.com/routes/29634525

You'll obviously want to ignore my previous advice and make sure you bring waterproof clothing with you, but hopefully they'll be wrong again and it will be dry after all.

See you at 9am,

Allan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Alan Mein

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April 31 Mar 2019 07:05 #15293

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 14
One word springs to mind; carnage! Looking forward to it (I think).

Last edit: by Chi kong Cham.

Middle Group - 9am Saturday 6th April 30 Mar 2019 19:46 #15290

• Allan Phillips
Since the BBC weather forecast is always 100% accurate*, and in an attempt to out-do Scoobs, I thought why wait till Thursday to post the route for Saturday 6th April?

As we all know there are only 2 types of bike - Winter and Summer, and similarly there are only 2 seasons in the year. Since the last winter ride was 30th March then it must be the First of the Summer Rides! That means 2 things:

1) It's a 9am start (Boo!)
2) No mudguards required (Yay!)

From the Peak, the route will be 57.5 glorious miles as follows:

* Sheriffmuir via Logie Kirk (stop winging - if you can handle Doctor's Brae on a winter bike, you can handle Logie Kirk on your super-light summer one)
* Gleneagles
* The Bridge (you know which one)
* The Bridge again - as the great Freddie Mercury once said - Give it to me one more time
* Braco
* Corrieries

Full details are here:
ridewithgps.com/routes/23807217

Since we're effectively leaving 2 hours earlier than last week (1 hour earlier start, plus 1 hour timezone change), it will be chilly to start so ideally bring a warm outer layer that you can stuff in your jersey pocket when it warms up. No need for anything remotely waterproof, since the always 100% accurate* forecast is for dry weather. You will however need food, fluids and stuff to fix a puncture.

We'll have a brief stop roughly every 15 miles for taking on food / unloading fluids / removing a layer of clothing. (As Pete Namey will testify, trying some of those on the move definitely isn't a good idea!) The pace will hopefully be between 15 and 17mph, but we'll ride as a group at a pace that's comfortable for everyone, and no-one will get left behind.

See you at the Peak at 9am.

*I will check the forecast again on Thursday 4th April. In the unlikely event that the forecast has changed, I reserve the right to change the route and / or modify my advice on waterproof clothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Douglas Telfer, Sharon Elaine Walthew-Stewart, Andy Massie, Paul Milligan

Last edit: by Allan Phillips.
  • Page:
Designed by the Club