Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
03 Aug 2019
Only 1 week now to this year’s edition of the Dave J memorial ride. Extended welcome as always to members, family and friends. Please confirm interest via the following forum post.

www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/index.php/forum/general-chat/3331-dave-j-bbq-and-rides-24th-august-2019
  • Page:

TOPIC: Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 22 Apr 2015 17:08 #1681

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Cheers. Might not be along for another week or two. Is it still OK to rock on up even though 4 weeks of this may have passed already?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 21 Apr 2015 21:28 #1669

• Derek Ditty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Folks usually the 3rd week in april CG moves to 19:00 starts, it was light tonight till 20:30 so maybe need lights to get you home.
The fawkirk CG is 7pm this week for anyone going to that on thursday.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 21 Apr 2015 17:24 #1659

• MC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm knackered tonight and just home so I won't be along tonight but you'll have an extra one as of next week providing I get home in time!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 21 Apr 2015 08:06 #1647

• Ian Pearson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll be there from 6.30. We can have a chit chat tonight about start time for next week.

Ian P.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 20 Apr 2015 15:20 #1639

• Colin Chisholm
  • Colin Chisholm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 66
7pm if possible guys. I'm travelling back from Glencoe and might struggle with 6:30, however make the time to suit the majority

Colin

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 19 Apr 2015 22:18 #1627

• JimTierney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6.30 or 7 this week?

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 15 Apr 2015 16:15 #1587

• Andrew Rafferty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That was fun last night

And my first SBC outing in far too long.

Hopefully not as long until the next one!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 15 Apr 2015 10:42 #1584

• Jim Prentice
  • Thank you received: 130
sorry I didn't make it last night, folks - got caught up in a meeting - but it sounds a good evening's work-out.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 14 Apr 2015 21:35 #1583

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Good turn out this evening and a good pace for an old geezer like me!
And I've tweaked the title :whistle:

Last edit: by Colin Chisholm. Reason: Title tweaked

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 14 Apr 2015 10:39 #1579

• Jim Prentice
might be a wee bit later tonight so just start at 6.30pm as usual - I'll jump on as you're passing the Vets.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 14 Apr 2015 07:08 #1578

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Morning. Won't be making it this week (also think the weather is to be horrific later). Maybe next week. Might also knock out 60 miles during the day tomorrow.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 08 Apr 2015 14:05 #1475

• Rebecca Barker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Derek,
We switched our lights on (low) to come home, but it wasn't that dark & I have two back lights on my bike so can easily move one on to yours if need be! Let me know if you're coming next week as I meet Christine at the level crossing at 6pm so we can meet you as we come on Cornton Rd! Will make it safer for cycling back home together too! Might even have convinced Mr B to join us next week!

Becki

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 08 Apr 2015 09:00 #1473

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sorry I missed last night's intro. Maybe next week. Quick question though: is it dark when you're done -- I don't have lights yet and if it is dark might have to wait a few more weeks.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 07 Apr 2015 16:53 #1467

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Can't manage tonight, Club duties... looking forward to getting out next week though... :sick:

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 07 Apr 2015 15:18 #1466

• Jim Prentice
yes, I'll be there.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 07 Apr 2015 06:32 #1460

• Rebecca Barker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Development chaingang starting tonight? Off at 6:30 from the Vets car park at Chartershall?

Cheers
Becki

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 30 Mar 2015 22:51 #1399

• Jim Prentice
The weather forecast for tomorrow is awful - I fancy postponing the start of the Dev CG until next Tuesday (7/4)? Any thoughts?

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 27 Mar 2015 18:39 #1359

• Jim Prentice
I should be at Chartershall on Tuesday evening (31/3) 6.30pm..... with lights.

One thing that we should all not forget is the reason for the Dev CG starting up in the first place. Apart from encouraging beginners into CGing, the Chalmerston Road CG is not formally organised by SBC. There are riders from other clubs who come along and enjoy the evening and that's fine. One of the issues surrounding Chalmerston Road event was to do with insurances and because the Chartershall CG is restricted to SBC members or those intending to join SBC then we are covered by the relevant insurance for this weekly event.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 27 Mar 2015 15:02 #1352

• Erchillinio
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
All of the encouragement here is great and it is good to see the newer riders looking to be safe and predictable in their riding before venturing out onto the highways to take part in chain gang efforts. :ohmy:
To prevent the mad entreprenairial mechanic (of sorts) from the well known hillfitz toon offering wisdom at ear shattering decibels on the possibility that you may have 'missed the wheel' or 'get aff the front - yer backin it up!' should fatigue be raising its ugly head, can I suggest you come down to the adult skills session on a Thursday night at the P&R and watch how the regulars are actually chainganging in Eschelon formation and also changing the chain direction when the wind is from the opposite side!! ;)
There's many an experienced rider not so aware of that particular skill (according to Maggie the Mad Mechanic) - so well done the senior boys and girls class last night!
First attempts at chaingang on open roads are probably not the safest way to go about it - more especially as there is a traffic free environment available for your private emabarrassment instruction and demonstration, or alternatively you may opt for the steep learning curve offered verbally by the wide eyed, bloodshot, snot producing, saliva dripping (but first class) bicycle adjuster to the stars. :whistle:

E.

Last edit: by Erchillinio.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 26 Mar 2015 22:18 #1346

• JimTierney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If weather is fine I will be there!
Long term weather forecast not looking good!

As for the discussion, safety is definitely an issue regards the chalmerston lane course. Very busy start which is probably not the place to chain gang!
Definitely up for moving people on though when they are ready!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 26 Mar 2015 13:33 #1342

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Guys, guys....

The development chaingang is still a goer for now for all the reasons we've mentioned in the previous posts...

The only issue I have for the first one is I'm doing DIY all day for my folks and I'll not be home in time to lead/help/cajole/encourage people within the group. Hopefully Graeme or Jim will be able to help on the 1st.

So if you want to learn how to chaingang on quieter roads, on a reasonably flat course, with good company with the option to drop out for a lap and then jump back on when the group comes back round or to simply improve your speed before joining the Chalmerston road crew, then our Development chaingang at Chartershall is the place to be.

Depending on numbers and ability we can split the group accordingly.

Also if it's raining or has been raining heavily you might want to consider leaving your mudguards on to stop the one behind getting totally manky, I'll be leaving mine on for a few more weeks/months!

Colin..
The old MTBer...

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 26 Mar 2015 11:31 #1338

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
No, it was clear. The Development group riders are learning to ride in a group. But as they get used to that there's no reason why they can't also learn to be in a chaingang together, albeit at a slower pace. Indeed, the Dev Group actually did some chainganging a few weeks back during the weekly Saturday ride.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 26 Mar 2015 10:44 #1337

• Nigel brooks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Derek sorry if my comments werent clear, I would not sugest any of the things you mention, only my view but the chaingang is not the place to learn how to ride in a group thats what the development group rides on a Saturday are for. A chaingang is a training method to help increase you speed and works best , in my opioion if people in the group are of a similar ability,

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 26 Mar 2015 06:59 #1334

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
For people without a clue as to even ride close together, let alone in a chaingang, throwing them into a mixed ability group and then hoping for the best is surely asking for trouble. There are people within the Development Group who are new to cycling, are coming back after injury, or are a bit older than most other cyclists and it's only right and proper if you ask me to have a dedicated beginner (and much slower) chaingang group for the Development Group.
It may only act as a temporary stepping stone into mixed ability groups.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 23:59 #1333

• Nigel brooks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
just a point, Chalmerston chaingang look to have 4 or more groups the small er number of groups the more mixed ability theu become and dont work so well saw some coments on ave speed that was ptobably for the scratch group if it was on Dieters strava, Others might disagree

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 18:22 #1328

• Andrew Scobie (Scoobs)
  • Committee
  • Committee
  • Thank you received: 192
Just checked Dieter's Strava and found the route, I noted the average speed being 21.8mph

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 18:10 #1327

• Andrew Scobie (Scoobs)
  • Committee
  • Committee
  • Thank you received: 192
Hi Colin,

Not sure if I missed it, but do you have the route of the Chalmerston Chain Gang?

Andy

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 18:07 #1326

• Andrew Wilson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Haha Dieter is well more diplomatic sounding than me!! No wonder I was never a politician!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 15:33 #1325

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ok, so just to check my understanding of the conversation...

Chalmerston Road Chaingang - 2 groups
Normal fast/scratch group
A middle group(slightly faster than the development groups (17-19 mph?) for folks that are experienced in group riding, through and off, etc but want to improve.

Chartershall, bottom of long line
1 or 2 groups of less experienced riders who are looking to learn the art/skill of group riding, through and off, etc on quieter roads or simply are happy to stay in the development group and help bring the less experienced or nervous riders on.
The ride leader should also be encouraging the ones that are ready to move up to move up!

I'd also like the development chaingang to stick with the Tuesday evening slot as it works for a lot of folks (me included) and if we have a rota (sorry couldn't help myself from mentioning it) then when it's not your turn to lead the group you could join in with Chalmerston Road crew or just come along to support the less experienced.

Dieter, getting some of the more experienced guys and girls down to join you is a great idea and something we will be encouraging. It might be prudent for us to get the development chaingang up and running for a few weeks to find our feet and then we could bring a few folks over to join in with the group that is off first.

Just my thoughts....

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 14:26 #1324

• Dieter Visser
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Agree with you 100% Graeme, there is definitely a need for a development chaingang/ group. I use to say just get on the bike and ride the thing until I started cycling with my other half, well let’s put it this way she persuaded me that not everyone can get on the bike and ride… (or maybe with age I’ve became more understanding) :whistle:

Anyway, would it be ok with folk from the development chaingang that have done the chaingang before to come down and join us and maybe start a new development group on another date to teach people how to chaingang?

Really the idea here is not to step on toes as I know a lot of hard work has gone into the development group and it’s been a huge success!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 14:20 #1323

• Chris Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I attended the dev CG in the summer last year a number of times and would like to move up (eventually), however the speed difference is too much of a jump for me. My reluctance to go to the charlmerston road CG would be that i would be dropped in the first 5 mins. if there was two groups at the charlmeston road really fast and say middle then i'd be up for giving it a go.

chris

Last edit: by Chris Clark. Reason: spelling

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 13:54 #1322

• Graeme Matheson
  • Thank you received: 9
ok, my tuppence worth... Let's not lose sight of why we started the dev chaingang at Chartershall. ie lack of experience at through and off, short circuit means anyone that does get dropped can spin along until group catches them back up, no traffic howling past inexperienced riders on the main road.

I agree that the carrot of the main chain gang ought to be dangled, and I'm sure that some who have done the dev chaingang are ready to move up, but I'm not sure that binning what's worked well and moving it all down the road is the right course of action.

I suggest we do a combination of both, and that's not just because the current location is easy for me to get to.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 13:46 #1321

• Andrew Wilson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yeah I agree with Dieter & co. Scrap the dev one, bring all groups down to Chalmerston Road. Everyone makes better progress when there's more groups in one place. The dev one was successful but it can still be successful on Chalmerston and will make people get better with the carrot dangling of moving to next group. Works in Falkirk and most other places. The groups can still go in the same groups they go up at Chartershall, but its just a different course.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 12:18 #1320

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'll be along too, just not the 31st as I have a first aid course to complete (and before anyone says it, yes, it will be handy for me ;) )

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 11:50 #1319

• Gill Brett
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm away next week but thereafter hope to come along.
I'd like to keep going to the skills session at the Castleview carpark on a Thursday night and so Tuesday night suits better at the mo

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 11:09 #1318

• Neil Mcleod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Count me in

Can't do every week as Mrs Mac (that sounds wrong doesnt't it!) has council meetings once a month but I def want to get stuck in as often as poss

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 09:51 #1313

• Sam Shaw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'd echo what Dieter says. There's no reason we can't run both together. The times I've done the Falkirk CG, the first group(s) have stayed away - it's all about getting the timings right. And if/when it does come together, there's an opportunity to really put yourself in the red!

We really do need more people at the Chalmerston Rd CG for the reasons Dieter mentions above - the more we get, the greater the gains for everyone.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 25 Mar 2015 09:24 #1312

• Dieter Visser
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all development chaingangers , :woohoo:

I’ve heard about the great success of the development chaingang and that you’re getting more than two groups out, that is great! My request here is to try and motivate you to come along to the Chalmerston Road chaingang.

The normal chaingang really needs more people as I’ve observed in the last year or two that the numbers are dwindling and we hardly have a first group more like a first group that should be the middle group and scratch. :ohmy:

I’ve started going to the Falkirk chaingang last year and noticed they have over five plus groups and I’m sure the first groups are the same pace as our development group if not slower ;-)

The proposition:
  • Combine the two chaingangs (Simples :silly: )
  • Or maybe change the development chaingang to be on a Thursday so that you can still ride with your friends and give you the option to at least come and try the other chaingang.

Why am I asking: (get to the point?)
So basically having more numbers will motivate guys that are currently hiding :( in groups to move up a group and push themselves and close the growing speed gap from going from the middle group to one of the faster groups (a lot of psychology right there :sick: )

Cheers,
Dieter

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 24 Mar 2015 22:47 #1310

• JimTierney
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Next Tuesday at 6.30. At Chartershall, bottom of long line. Can park your car in the vets Derek!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 24 Mar 2015 21:01 #1308

• Derek Lambie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sounds great and Tuesday nights ideal for me. Don't have lights at the moment but suppose that I could always bung the car at Dobbies, or miss the first few weeks. Great idea having a Development group.

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 24 Mar 2015 19:32 #1306

• Graeme Matheson
  • Thank you received: 9
Depending on my travel commitments I'd be happy to come along and help out with this again whenever I can.

Two groups worked well in the past and we need to make sure we kick folk down to the main chaingang if they look like they're breaking legs at the development group.

According to my calendar I'm in Scotland next Tue evening. Shall we pencil it in for a 6:30 kick off?

G

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 24 Mar 2015 17:45 #1305

• Derek Ditty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
nothing to stop you starting it mate, you might be better doing the half 6 start for the first 2 weeks and anyone riding home makes sure they have lights, cant remember how many laps you do in an hour? was it 5 mins loops?so a dozen laps? 2 groups something like that, look out for the dog walkers and Jim P's lady fanclub!

Development chain gang - Tuesday Evenings 24 Mar 2015 15:33 #1302

• Colin Chisholm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
As per Donald's post, with the clocks going forward this weekend is the development chaingang starting up too?

• Page:
Designed by the Club